Real name: westminster choir college of rider university
Location: princeton, nj
Home Page: www.rider.edu/woce
Information: jazz piano camp (2 week camp)
june 24 – july 6
now in its third year, the jazz piano has proven to be a challenging and magical experience for high school pianists. the world of jazz inspires students to find their individuality and express themselves using the musical tools they are given. at jazz piano camp, every student’s ideas are valuable. our outstanding faculty show students how to apply their technique and musical background to jazz improvisation, and we unlock the mysteries of harmony and creativity with advanced theoretical study. no prior experience in jazz is required for this camp, but qualities such as curiosity, courage, imagination, leadership, and hard work will spur your success here.
jazz piano camp is led by tara buzash, jazz pianist, composer, and arranger in the new jersey-philadelphia area. (www.buzash.net).
within the two weeks, students will learn:
• to play one jazz standard tune on solo piano
• to play a jazz standard as part of a trio with bass and drums
• to read jazz charts
• to improvise using scales, chord tones, and “color tones”
• to play three songs “by ear,” reconstructing the music with authenticity
• specific techniques for transposing, or playing songs in any key
• to accompany a jazz vocalist
• the significance of jazz music in history
• and more!
the daily schedule includes ear training, jazz theory, jazz history, playing by ear, solo lessons and practice time and ensemble master classes (with faculty bassist and drummer)
once each week, we will have a professional jazz vocalist come in for classes on accompanying a jazz vocalist.
we will also schedule activities such as princeton walking trips and a special fourth of july celebration. we will celebrate what you have learned in a final recital on the last day of camp.
for more information about westminster’s summer
programs, contact the westminster choir college of rider university, office of continuing education, 101 walnut lane, princeton, nj 08540 609-924-7416
• all programs are residential.
• male and female students will be housed in separate dormitories
• trained counselors supervise all residence halls and chaperone students during their stay at westminster
• lodging and dining are provided in traditional college atmosphere
• residence halls are equipped with double and triple rooms with a bathroom on each floor
Volume 1 of this educational jazz piano book contains 15 jazz piano exercises, tricks, and other interesting jazz piano techniques, voicings, grooves, and ideas Scot Ranney enjoys playing.
Volume 2 has 14 jazz piano exercises and tricks of the trade, and quite a bit of it is Calypso jazz piano related material, including some Monty Alexander and Michel Camilo style grooves. Jazz piano education is through the ears, but books like this can help.
Volume 3 contains 12 jazz piano exercises and explorations by the acclaimed jazz piano educator, pianist, author, and recording artist Tim Richards.
Volume 4 is by Jeff Brent, a jazz pianist, composer, teacher, and author of "Modalogy" and other acclaimed jazz theory and education books. In this book Jeff shares detailed analysis of transcriptions of live performances. He covers everything from the shape of the songs to the tricks and licks he uses in improvised lines to the ideas behind his lush chord voicings.
Volume 5 of the "Jazz Piano Notebook Series" is Available!
LearnJazzPiano.com File Downloads News
One Hour of Relaxing Piano Music
Jeff Brent's Jazz Piano Notebook
Fundamentos FĂsicos del Sonido
Aprendiendo a tocar PIANO gratis con partitura